Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Keep Your Dogs Water Cold @ 107F

This weekend was hectic as I spent it dog sitting, working, and helping others after the bad streak of storms that came trough on Sunday. I stayed busy with a lack of time for photos so I have grabbed a few from friends and the web but you will get the idea.





Keeping your dogs water Cold:
My parent have a yellow lab Buddy that stays outside in the backyard, coming in occasionally during bad weather to enjoy A/C during the heat. I was responsible for keeping his water drinkable as it was 107F this weekend. So rather than throwing ice in the water bowl only to watch it melt in less than a minute. I recycled an idea I learn while working landscaping in high school: The Frozen 2 liter bottle.





Find a two liter Bottle fill with water till the top of the label leaving room for expansion. Throw it in the freezer for a couple of hours.

The you have two options
1: Throw the bottle in the bowl and let it act as a ice block
2: Cut the bottle off and have a lick able ice block

-Either way your outside (Or Inside) dog can enjoy cold water for hours, leaving you with the feeling of being a responsible dog parent.

The fish even felt the weather:
In the dog days of summer you can go fishing, leaving you with a loss of water weight, mosquito bites, and sunburn. I spent the latter part of the days fishing only to find a few yellowbellys deep on a beadhead stonefly and a few bass on a deer hair frog moving it slowly with little pops. Even days when the fishing isn't so great it can always turn into a good time to work on you casting.

Sunday storms came fast, left fast and a mess behind.
Sunday afternoon the storm system from Virginia came into North Carolina with solid red showing on the radar. Still at my parents house where I am a volunteer firefighter the fire calls where numerous as trees where down and houses had been struck by lighting. I spent Sunday behind a chainsaw for a couple of hours. Only to spend Monday behind a chainsaw at a friends house in Greenville helping his family clean up as they lost a few trees. I was graciously paid with a great dinner and good conversation.


Overall it was a good weekend I kept buddy's water cold, caught a few fish, and helped some people in need as I hope one day when I need help someone will return the favor. 

J.Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment